Childrens Holiday Sewing Club
Children are increasingly keen to learn to sew for themselves, and we’re all for learning a new practical skill. So we run sewing classes in the school holidays for 8-16 year olds. The holiday club is lead by Leonie Pratt and ably assisted by one of creative big girl helpers.
- What they sew will depend upon their abilities, from bags to bunting, cards to cushions, there will be a daily selection to choose from. All materials will be provided for these projects.
- We aim to sew a couple of items each day.
- children will be encouraged to up-cycle as well as make from new.
- It’s a great way for children to get started with making their own creations.
- Older students wanting to learn more advanced techniques are requested to bring their own dressmaking patterns and fabric as personal taste varies greatly. Attending for two days, or more if wanting to make garments would be preferable to achieve this.
- Brand new computerised Janome domestic sewing machines (with speed control and touch control as opposed to foot control) will be used – easy for young sewers to master.
- Access to two overlockers for the more advanced students.
- Children will be taught both hand and machine sewing.
- They’ll get plenty of personal attention, as our sewing classes won’t exceed eight students.
- There’s a friendly, fun atmosphere with lots of patient help in our beautiful converted chapel.
- Something creative to do in the school holidays.
- Suitable for those crafty kids who really want to learn how to sew or are already sewers and want to increase their skills.
When and how much?
This class runs from 10.00am to 4pm and run in all school holidays. Cost £35 per day, including all materials.
What else do I need to know?
Children are to bring their own packed lunch, afternoon snack and named water bottle. Water is available. They are welcome to bring their own sewing kits if they have one, but it is not necessary. We are a self contained studio with our own toilet facilities. The Sewing Shed is inside Ilkley’s beautiful garden cemetery, weather permitting we will take a break outside at lunchtime. All ages will be taught along side one another as there is plenty of space for all and students can inspire one another. Children can be dropped at the door with ease as we have free on site parking, vehicular access is via Ashlands Road. Do drive through the gates – we are the chapel on the right hand side.
- Monday 20th July 10.00am – 4.00pm
- Tuesday 21st July 10.00am – 4.00pm
- Wednesday 22nd July 10.00am – 4.00pm
- Thursday 23rd July 10.00am – 4.00pm
- Friday 24th July 10.00am – 4.00pm
- Monday 26th October 10.00am – 4.00pm
- Tuesday 27th October 10.00am-4.00pm
- Monday 21st December 10.00am – 4.00pm
- Tuesday 22nd December 10.00am-4.00pm
how to book
To enquire or make a booking, please call 07525 029986 or email us. We anticipate places will be high demand and as we have restricted numbers please book in plenty of time to avoid disappointment! Do also double check your children’ s holiday dates coincide with those published as all school holidays are not necessarily the same! Also, please read our booking terms & conditions.